2/5/2010 Lok Kawi Zoo Wildlife Shooting

Always desperate to shoot wildlife as I think wildlife always give a natural look because they don't know how to pose, unless you get them trained to listen to human instruction. As I am yet to have the chance to expose to the real wildlife which is in the wild, I can only take the pictures of the wildlife inside the zoo. Some will say: “That’s easy!” Well, I can tell you, it’s not easy to take the portrait of the wildlife inside the zoo.

This is my second trip to Lok Kawi Zoo, but this time I went with a gang and with my new gear Nikon D3S and Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, which I borrow from my friend. Still, I manage to capture some nice “pose” by the animals. Among all the animals there, I prefer the Orang Utan, Elephant, Tiger and the Monkey (sorry, can’t remember what species is that). The monkeys were not caged so we have quite a clear shot of the monkeys apart from those trees and bushes. It’s quite far for my lens, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, but with the quality of the Nikkor lens and Nikon camera, I manage to crop the picture to almost 15%-20% of its original picture and all the details still remain intact.

This trip really is a fruitful trip as I got a lot of nice and amazing shots, not only the tiger, but also the eagle, bird, Orang Utan and the elephants. Here I would like to share the photos.

All pictures taken with Nikon D3S and Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8, VRII

First, the elephants:
Photobucket

Photobucket
I personally like a close-up shots of the elephant featuring their eyes. The eye of the elephant seems a bit scary if you would just stare right into its eye.

But, when you look from afar,
Photobucket
she is just one calm and peaceful looking animal.

Photobucket
Personally, I like this moment, it seems like a precious moment between the mother and son.

Never seen an elephant feet? Here it is,
Photobucket

Next, the parrot, have been expecting this kind of shots a long long time and I finally get at least two of it.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow by that, is the eagle:
Photobucket

and a closer shot,
Photobucket

imagine these claws are on your hand..
Photobucket

Next up, will be a deer, I like the lighting at where the deer take its rest. Sorry for the disturbance in front as I need to shoot through the green wire fence.
Photobucket

and the sun bear,
Photobucket

Photobucket
showing off its teeth and the trademark in front of its chest

Photobucket

coming up, the Orang Utan in action
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

monkey in action, also, I like the lighting at the right moment,
Photobucket

last, but not least, the tiger
Photobucket

Photobucket

Didn't manage the get a few shots on my favourite subject, the tiger, but ends up with several nice collection. Hope everyone enjoy viewing the pictures. Cheers.

No comments:

All About Myself

My photo
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
A guy born and raised in Sibu, Sarawak and I am now currently working in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. I am an enthusiast in Photography, it is a way to keep memories of what I've seen in my lifetime. I offer photography services for pre-wedding, personal potrait, studio potrait and especially wedding photography. I enjoy wedding photography as I like the joy of sharing the big moment with the couple big day. Do contact me if you are interested, willing to travel anywhere.