DRIFT!!

DRIFT, I believe this word does sound very familiar to all of us, well, most of us I guess. Anyway, if you don't know about drift, you will be able to understand it after you watch Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift, it is an action-packed movie and also that movie do brings the world of drifting into its' peak.

Many people will think that Drifting is illegal under the eye of the law, well, it can be legal if you're doing at the right time, right place and right skill. One advise here before I proceed, Do Not Try This At Home Or Any Place, it is ILLEGAL if you ever try this on the road. Drifters need months and years of training to be familiar with the skill of drifting, apart from that, they need to fine-tune their car, customise their car so that drifting can be done under a bright or dark sky and to guarantee that you will be able to step out of the car safe and sound after drifting, instead of crawling out of the car.

We are happy to see that the government is actually helping up with this group of drifters and actually make it as a hobby for the teenagers, of course, you need to do it in a legal manners. The Burnout 360 Sabah Drift Challenge which was held at the Sabah Port on 29 May 2010 was co-organised by the local and federal authority and I believe it marks a new era for this hobby to be popular among the Sabahan or even in Malaysia now.

I came over this event on that particular day and luckily am able to attend the event for a photo-shooting session. When I was there around 2p.m., it happens that the morning till evening session was just warm-up and other sub event. The real challenge happens to be at evening time. Anyway, I do some shooting during the warm-up session, by the way, this is my first time ever in my life trying to do panning shot, well, it came out that quite a lot of the subject was blur. Luckily, I was still able to get some shot. The evening shooting turns up to be a nightmare for me. Why is it? The lighting was bad. How bad is it? Only a few functional spot light was on and the spotlight which should be lighting up the the subject was out of order, making the subject, which is the car, became so dark when they are performing the drifting. It became worse that I didn't bring my Nikon SB-900 with me by the time, but was able to lend a Nikon SB-600 from my friend on the spot, luckily the Nikon SB-600 does help up with the lighting a bit.

Anyway, struggling with the lighting and boosting my Nikon D3S ISO up to ISO-8,000, it truly put my Nikon D3S to its' test and turns up with the Nikon D3S exceptional performance, I was able to get some shot. This is my first time taking the car drifting shot and definitely it won't be the last. I am looking forward for another drift event to further enhance my shooting skill in the drifting event.

Lastly, with the combination of pictures and video taken with my Nikon D3S and Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII from my friend, I came out with the simple short clip below, the clip was finished on the same day and I only used half an hour to finish the clip, so pardon me for any imperfection. The short clip turns up to be muted due to some copyright issues, for the unmuted version, check my facebook. Cheers!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

All About Myself

My photo
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
A guy born and raised in Sibu, Sarawak and I am now currently working in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. I am an enthusiast in Photography, it is a way to keep memories of what I've seen in my lifetime. I offer photography services for pre-wedding, personal potrait, studio potrait and especially wedding photography. I enjoy wedding photography as I like the joy of sharing the big moment with the couple big day. Do contact me if you are interested, willing to travel anywhere.